Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Brown Deer

I thought I would do the 45+ race to warm up for the M123. Take it easy...start slow...maybe help out the homeys...then really unleash for the big race. Wrong. Make no mistake, these guys really mean it. LAPT lines up with Ricky O, JW and yours truly. Competition looks strong with Fleck, McGeen, LeRoie (sp?), Godkin and Emery is no slouch. Beans and Barley have good contingent including Jeff Thompson recently back from neck surgery for gods sake. Welcome back, dude. Fleck pulls the "let's see how well you warmed up" move and gets a big gap. Well, I didn't warm up, so this kinda hurts. Takes me a couple of laps to bring him back and then of course the pack jumps me. Suddenly I feel the hand of the cycling gods in the form of Godkin giving me a giant yank to stay mid-pack. Lots more cat and mouse. It's clear nothing is getting away. McGeen made a good kilo move. I ramped up with about half a K to go at Philly's prodding. He squeaks by me at the end. Fun race.

Big field for the M123. JV x 2, Tonio and Tumski present. Big J is just itchin' to rock it. Speed, wind and course combine to stretch the field single file. There was way too much braking in the turn in back so I endeavored to stay at the front. Tumbleson makes a key counter move and looks way strong. He was in the best break of the day that was eventually brought back by solo chases from Clif, Beans and Mack. I understand that some guy nearly took me out, but as I have said, I have some kind of amnesia after races. I recall going to the brakes pretty hard, but that's it. With the wind really kicking up, we went into the bell lap. Tony marked a late move and we jammed into the hairpin. I went after Scott for the lead out for Voigt, but some Wheaton who I hadn't seen all race came screaming, figuratively and literally, from the back. Nipped Big V in the sprint. Everyone says what an easy race that was while I go back to the rig for some O2.
Key moves from Tony and Jeff. Nice job Big V.

No comments: